Tehama County Sheriff's Office
P.O. Box 729 • 22840 Antelope Boulevard
Red Bluff, CA  96080
(530) 529-7900 •  (530) 529-7933 FAX
Inmate Mail:  P.O. Box 490, Red Bluff, CA  96080




Animal Regulations


County of Tehama 

Being a Responsible Pet Owner in Tehama County


No person shall own or keep any dog over four months of age within the unincorporated area of the county unless such dog is licensed.

What is required: A certificate of vaccination signed by a veterinarian showing an approved rabies vaccination and the period of time from the date of vaccination to the date of expiration.

When: Application for a dog license shall be made to the Tehama County Animal Care Center (if you live in the cit of limits of Red Bluff or Corning, license will be accomplished in the respective city) by the owner of the dog to be licensed no later than thirty days after the acquisition of the dog.

Benefit: Studies show that over 90% of dogs impounded wearing a license are returned to their owner.

aying & Neutering:
Prevents further litters that will increase our growing overpopulation of homeless animals.

What is required: A veterinarian.

When: Most veterinarians recommend spay/neuter between for to six months of age.

Benefit: Once spayed/neutered; females are normally healthier, do not go into heat (which attracts unaltered males into your yard) and live longer.  Males are less likely to stray from home and are better family pets.

lEAshing Your Dog While Out:
No person shall permit a dog to run at large from private property owned by the owner of such dog, or from private property to which such owner has a right of possession.

What is required: Dog must be restrained by substantial leash and under physical control of its owner.

When: Anytime you leave your property.

Benefit: If a dog is properly leashed, it will not be able to run into traffic preventing injury to the dog and driver of any vehicle.  If the dog is let loose and does any damage, the owner could be held liable to any costs incurred.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q:    I do not have a fenced yard.  Can I tie my dog to a tree or post while I’m gone?
A:    A dog is not allowed to be tethered to any item for more than 3 hours in a 24 hour period.  They should also have access to   water and shelter when needed while tethered.

 Q:   I take my dog everywhere with me.  Is it okay that I leave the dog in the car  while I run into the store?
A:    No person shall leave or confine an animal in any unattended motor vehicle under conditions that endanger the health or well being of any animal due to heat, cold, lack of adequate ventilation, lack of food or water, or other circumstances that could reasonably be expected to cause suffering, disability, or death of the animal.

Q:    Where can I get my animals spayed or neutered?
A:    There are many veterinarians in Tehama County and all do spaying and neutering of animals.

Q:    There is a loose cat in my yard. What do I do with it?

A:    Cats are unregulated in Tehama County and as such, no agency will pick the cat up.  The Tehama County Animal Care Center will accept cats for a requested impounded fee.  With very limited space at the Care Center, there is a waiting list bring them in.  To be added to the waiting list or to ask further questions about   turning the cat in, call the Tehama County Animal Care Center.

Q:     I found a stray dog.  Who do I call?
A.     If you live in the city limits of Red Bluff, you will call the Red Bluff Police Department.

        If you live in the city limits of Corning, you will call the Corning Police Department.

        If you live anywhere in Tehama County other than the above two cities, you will call the Tehama County Sheriff’s Office.

Q:    I can not seem to train my dog.  What can I do?
A:    There are many options to house training your dog.  One of the most recommended trainings are to crate train (resources can be found on-line or handouts are available at the Tehama County Care Center).  The most important thing to keep in mind is positive reinforcement always wins out over negative.  Praise your dog when he/she does go to the bathroom in the proper location.

Q:     My dog is constantly chewing up my house.  How can I stop this behavior?
A:    Your dog needs something to do.  Most of the time when a dog is chewing items up it is simply bored.  If you have toys already and the dog is ignoring them, then try some of the puzzle style toys available. Many toys have small treats in them and the dog has to find a way to get them out.  You can also try exercising the dog more when you are home. There are many resources available in print and on-ling talking about how to break dogs of these bad habits.

Q:    Are there opportunities to volunteer at the Tehama County Animal Care Center?
A:    Yes, absolutely!  The animals at the Tehama County Care Center absolutely love the extra attention given when volunteers spend time with them.  For a volunteer packet and to set up a volunteer interview contact the Tehama County Animal Care Center by calling 530-527-3439.


Contact Information:

 Tehama County Animal Care Center

Tehama County Sheriff’s Office
530-529-7900 ext. 1

Red Bluff Police Department

Corning Police Department


Serving our Community with "P.R.I.D.E.” 
Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Dedication, Equality.”